Upwork’s Job Success Score (JSS) is a rating system that measures a freelancer and agency’s performance on the platform. It is based on client feedback, the number and success of completed contracts, and the overall quality of work.
Here’s how the Job Success Score is calculated:
- Feedback from clients: Clients are asked to rate their experience working with a freelancer or Agency on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest rating. The average of these ratings over a year is included in the Job Success Score.
- Number, length, and success of contracts completed: The more contracts a freelancer completes, and the more successfully those contracts are completed, the higher their Job Success Score will be. Upwork encourages long-term relationships. A client that keeps coming back to work with a freelancer or agency is the best proof of client satisfaction. Therefore, long projects and recurrent clients help boost the JSS.
- The overall quality of work: Upwork uses machine learning algorithms to assess the quality of a freelancer’s work based on factors such as the language used in their proposals and the timeliness of their deliverables. This assessment is also included in the Job Success Score.
The Job Sucess Score calculation starts when a freelancer or agency reaches, at least, 4 different contracts within 24 months, with 2 or more different clients.
The JSS is calculated every 2 weeks and is the result of 4 different JSSs:
- Average JSS during a 24 months timeframe.
- Average JSS during a 12 months timeframe.
- Average JSS during a 6 months timeframe.
- Trending JSS, which is the average between the JSS during the past 6 months and the JSS during the past 3 months.
The final Job Success Score is a calculation that considers all these 4 JSSs and reflects both recent and long-term activity. However, the exact process to calculate the JSS is maintained private to assure fairness and privacy in the marketplace.
Overall, the Job Success Score (JSS) is intended to provide clients with an indication of a freelancer’s performance on Upwork and help them make informed hiring decisions. If you would like to know more about Upwork’s Job Success Score visit their support center here.